“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sanford in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)

Oviedo Turntable

The Oviedo Turntable was located on the “Dinky Line”

Oviedo Turntable Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, December 30, 2011
1. Oviedo Turntable Marker
Inscription.   In October of 1890 the Osceola & Lake Jesup Railway extended its line ten miles, from Oviedo to Winter Park. This line was known as the "Coffee Pot" or "Dinky Line." In 1891 this line became part of the East Florida and Atlantic Railroad, and circa 1892-1894 was re-named the Florida Central & Peninsular (FC&P), nicknamed the "Friends Come and Push."

   You could leave Oviedo at 7:50 a.m., travel through Winter Park to Orlando, stay the day and return to Oviedo that evening. You might be delayed because Walter Preston Watson, the engineer, liked to stop the train at Gabriella to let the passengers pick wild flowers and oranges.

   Freight and passengers were carried during this period. The railroad installed this manually operated turntable at the Oviedo Depot, where the trains could be turned around. The crew would move the locomotive and tender onto the turntable, which was balanced so that four men could rotate it to change direction for the trip back to Orlando.

   Even in those days, union rules called for a rest period for the crew. Those rest periods were spent at the home of Mrs. Dora Kelsey, who lived on South Central Avenue, about a mile from the depot. There the crews could bathe, have a meal, and if time permitted, sleep while waiting for return trip.

   The Seaboard Airline Railway later bought
Oviedo Turntable Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, December 30, 2011
2. Oviedo Turntable Marker
the FC&P. The Seaboard merged with the Atlantic Coast Line on July 1, 1967. The Dinky Line made its last run on October 22, 1967, with 600 passengers on board. The train left Orlando at 9:30 a.m. for Oviedo, and made its final run from Oviedo to Orlando at 11 a.m.

   The roadbed of the Dinky Line is slated to become part of the Cross-Seminole Trail. It will connect to the Cady Way Trail in Winter Park.
Erected by the Museum of Seminole County History.
Location. 28° 44.604′ N, 81° 17.952′ W. Marker is in Sanford, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker is on Bush Boulevard north of County Home Road. Click for map. The marker stands outside the Museum of Seminole County History at the Seminole County Operations Center complex off of South Orlando Drive (US Route 17/92), on the north side of the Museum building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 Bush Boulevard, Sanford FL 32773, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fixed Signal (here, next to this marker); Old Folks Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Seminole County Courthouses (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lake Mary Historic Sites
Museum of Seminole County History image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, December 30, 2011
3. Museum of Seminole County History
Site of the Oviedo Turntable display
(approx. 1.7 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Lake Mary (approx. 1.8 miles away); Belair Historical Marker (approx. 2.5 miles away); Mayfair Country Club (approx. 2.8 miles away); Wagner (approx. 3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Sanford.
Categories. Railroads & Streetcars
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 379 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement