“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arcadia in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Arcadia Christian Church

Arcadia Christian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, February 10, 2012
1. Arcadia Christian Church Marker
Inscription. The town of Arcadia was established on the Gulf, Colorado, and Santa Fe Railroad in 1890. This church was organized in 1894 and represents the oldest surviving church in the community. Initial services were held by the Rev. T. Patterson in a building shared with the local Methodist church. The building was destroyed by a tornado about 1909, prompting Arcadia Christian to build its first sanctuary on a town lot in 1910.

Except for a brief period during World War II, the church experienced steady growth, and in 1955 the congregation built a new brick church building. A steam locomotive bell donated by the Santa Fe Railway Company in 1961 was placed in the sanctuary belfry.

The congregation continued to grow and in 1983 a new sanctuary was erected at this site. Included in the new facility was an office complex and a library. The former brick sanctuary was later converted for use as classrooms and a small chapel.

The church is notable for the number of its young members that have entered fields of Christian service. The congregation supports several ministries and bible colleges and is active in local and foreign outreach programs. Arcadia Christian Church continues to provide spiritual guidance for the community.
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission.
Arcadia Christian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, February 10, 2012
2. Arcadia Christian Church Marker
(Marker Number 9923.)
Location. 29° 22.892′ N, 95° 7.129′ W. Marker is in Arcadia, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is at the intersection of Beriton Street and Beriton Street & Frost Street, on the right when traveling east on Beriton Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Santa Fe TX 77517, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dairy Industry in the Santa Fe Area (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Runge Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Alta Loma (approx. 2.3 miles away); Original Site of First Baptist Church of Alta Loma (approx. 2.4 miles away); Evergreen Cemetery (approx. 3.2 miles away); Hitchcock Depot (approx. 3.2 miles away); U. S. Naval Air Station (approx. 4.8 miles away); Camp Wallace (approx. 4.8 miles away).
Categories. Churches, Etc.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 329 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement