HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Near Placerville in El Dorado County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The Smith Flat House
Point of Historical Interest - Eld-007
 
The Smith Flat House Marker Photo, Click for full size
December 25, 2011
1. The Smith Flat House Marker
 
Inscription. A hotel originally built in 1853 with substantial additions including a blacksmith shop in 1863. In the cellar is the famous opening to the Blue Lead Mine. Known early as "3 Mile House" the building has served as a stage coach stop, general merchandise store, hotel, post office and community hall for 135 years. This building is perhaps the best preserved frame structure of its size in the entire Mother Lode. The earliest owner of record was Elihu Meredith who owned hotels in Coloma and on Green Valley Road. According to the Mountain Democrat, this house also served as the voting precinct headquarters from 1854 until after the turn of the century. (Marker Number Eld-007.)
 
Location. 38° 44.008′ N, 120° 45.242′ W. Marker is near Placerville, California, in El Dorado County. Marker is on Smith Flat Road west of Smith Flat School Road, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. The marker is located in Smithflat, formerly known as Smith's Flat or Smith Flat, an unincorporated community on the eastern edge of Placerville, with a Placerville postal address. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2021 Smith Flat Road, Placerville CA 95667, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Swift Berry (approx. 1.9 miles away); Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 2.2 miles away); The Druid Monument (approx. 2.3 miles away); Upper Central House (approx. 2.3 miles away); J. Wonderly House / N.C. Fassett Groceries & Provisions / Burn & McBride / Lofty Louís Yarn Shop (approx. 2.3 miles away); John Mohler Studebaker (approx. 2.4 miles away); The Old Vetís Building (approx. 2.4 miles away); Fountain and Tallman Soda Works (approx. 2.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Placerville.
 
The Smith Flat House Marker - wide view Photo, Click for full size
By Andrew Ruppenstein, December 25, 2011
2. The Smith Flat House Marker - wide view
The marker is visible here mounted on the lower-floor wall between the two windows.
 

 
Also see . . .
1. Three Mile House. El Dorado County's page for the Smith Flat House,"...The Three Mile House was built in Smith Flat in 1853 over the Blue Lead Mining Channel. The original house consisted of a general store, post office, living room, bedroom, dining room, dance hall, rooms for rent, and a full attic and basement. There was also a separate toll house and a barn large enough for 40 horses. In the 1890ís, wings were added to the original building to accommodate a kitchen, pantry, saloon, card room and additional rooms to rent. The building, now called the Smith Flat House, has changed owners many times over the years, but it has always been carefully preserved. As recently as 1999, it was used as a restaurant where visitors could still go to the end of the basement bar and peer into the entrance of the Blue Lead Mine.... " (Submitted on February 11, 2012.) 

2. History of Smith Flat House. The Smith Flat House Center for Health's history page for their facility: "... Over the top of the Deep Blue Channel was built the Three Mile House, known as such due to its distance from Placerville on the trail to Carson City, in Smith Flat in 1853. This building is now known as the Smith Flat House...." (Submitted on February 11, 2012.) 
 
The Smith Flat House - main entrance (west side) Photo, Click for full size
By Andrew Ruppenstein, December 25, 2011
3. The Smith Flat House - main entrance (west side)
Since 2008 the Smith Flat House has been occupied by the Smith Flat House Center for Health.
 
 
The Smith Flat House - view from west Photo, Click for full size
By Andrew Ruppenstein, December 25, 2011
4. The Smith Flat House - view from west
 
 
The Smith Flat House - view from east Photo, Click for full size
By Andrew Ruppenstein, December 25, 2011
5. The Smith Flat House - view from east
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on February 11, 2012, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 356 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 11, 2012, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 191 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.