Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Maitland in Orange County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Carpentry Shop Museum

 
 
Carpentry Shop Museum Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, December 30, 2011
1. Carpentry Shop Museum Marker
Inscription. This historic workshop, built around 1883, was the site of William H. Waterhouse's woodworking and construction business. A pioneer settler and carpenter, Mr. Waterhouse built many of the early homes in Maitland and constructed the pews for he First Presbyterian Church of Maitland, erected in 1885. William Waterhouse helped build the town of Maitland both literally and figuratively as a well-respected carpenter and town alderman for 36 years. His carpentry shop houses woodworking tools and continues to pass on the tradition of craftsmanship through tours and hands-on programs.

The Carpentry Shop Museum is operated by the Maitland Historical Society. It was restored through the generous support of the State of Florida, Division of Historical Resources, the City of Maitland, and the Maitland Historical Society.

[photo]
Tuck Russell demonstrates antique wood working techniques.

 
Erected by the Maitland Historical Society.
 
Location. 28° 37.247′ N, 81° 21.995′ W. Marker is in Maitland, Florida, in Orange County. Marker can be reached from Lake Lily Drive south of Maitland Avenue South. Click for map. The marker and museum are on the grounds of Lake Lily Park. Marker is
Carpentry Shop Museum and Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, December 30, 2011
2. Carpentry Shop Museum and Marker
at or near this postal address: 820 Lake Lily Drive, Maitland FL 32751, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William H. Waterhouse Residence (within shouting distance of this marker); Black Bear Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Railroading in Maitland (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lake Lily Drive (about 600 feet away); Fort Maitland / Maitland / Lake Maitland (about 600 feet away); Church of the Good Shepherd (approx. 0.2 miles away); Moseley House (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Maitland.
 
Regarding Carpentry Shop Museum. The workshop building in which the museum is housed is a small, rustic, frame structure. The marker sits next to the stairs and door at the front of the building.

Among the many structures built in Maitland by William H. Waterhouse was the Waterhouse residence, where he and his family lived. That house (now the Waterhouse Residence Museum) is located adjacent to the Carpentry Shop Museum.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 503 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement