Lititz in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Lititz Moravian Congregation
In essentials unity, in non-essentials liberty, in all things love.
The Warwick Gemeinhaus was consecrated February 9, 1749. This date serves as the founding date for the Warwick Congregation, which on August 20, 1755, became the country congregation and Bruder-Gemein of Lititz. It was named by Count Zinzendorf in honor of the little village near the Castle of Litiz in Bohemia, where the early followers of John Hus found refuge in the year 1456. Brethren John de Watteville, Augustus Spangenberg (Bro. Joseph), and Nathaniel Seidel were present at the service of consecration.
Location. 40° 9.352′ N, 76° 18.159′ W. Marker is in Lititz, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Marker can be reached from E. Main Street 0.1 miles east of S. Water St., on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is on the sanctuary. Marker is in this post office area: Lititz PA 17543, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Heritage Center (a few steps from this marker); The Lititz Pharmacopoeia (a few steps from this marker); In Memory of the Brave Soldiers of the Continental Army (a few steps from this marker); Linden Hall On This Site in 1861 Julius Sturgis (about 400 feet away); John Augustus Sutter Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Elmer Holmes Bobst (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lititz (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Lititz.
Also see . . . History of Lititz Moravian Congregation. (Submitted on April 14, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Colonial Era • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,181 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.