Figure 2 Ranch
James Monroe Daugherty (1850-1942), who came to Texas from Missouri as a small child in 1851, served as a Confederate express rider at age 14.
Following the Civil War he returned home to Denton County and became interested in the cattle business. He participated in numerous cattle drives and by 1872 purchased his first ranch. He was a charter member of the Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association. As his empire grew, Daugherty acquired additional ranches in several states. In 1890 he purchased land here and founded the Figure 2 Ranch. Taking up residence here by 1905, he was active in local politics and served as one of Culberson County's first commissioners upon its creation in 1911. Due to his failing health, Daugherty sold the Figure 2 Ranch in 1933 to legendary millionaire businessman James Marion West, Sr. (1871-1941) of Houston. Although West did not live at the ranch, he visited often and the property remained in his family until 1992.
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7936.)
Location. 31° 27.23′ N, 104° 50.568′ W. Marker is near Van Horn, Texas, in Culberson County. Marker is on Texas Route 54 30 miles north of Interstate 10, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Van Horn TX 79855, United States of America.
Additional keywords. TX,CSA
Categories. • Agriculture • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Zacharias Beau T of Alpine, Texas. This page has been viewed 425 times since then and 7 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on , by Zacharias Beau T of Alpine, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings and a clearer close up of marker. • Can you help?