Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Santa Clara in Santa Clara County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Old Downtown Santa Clara

 
 
Old Downtown Santa Clara Marker - Panel 1 (Front of Monument) image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, February 16, 2012
1. Old Downtown Santa Clara Marker - Panel 1 (Front of Monument)
[Click image to enlarge]
Inscription. [There is no inscription on this maker other than the title. The marker consists of three panels of photographs with captions.]

[Panel 1:]
Photo 1 - Upper Left:

Franklin and Main Streets formed the business hub of early Santa Clara. Widney Store was on the northeast corner of Franklin. Circa 1875.

Photo 2 - Upper Right
Main Street looking south from Franklin toward the Methodist Church and the City Park. Circa 1900.

Photo 3 - Lower Left:
Main Street looking north toward Benton Street with the Fatjo Store founded in 1848 on the left. Circa 1900.

Photo 4 - Lower Right:
The trolley car heads west on Franklin Street at Main. The Bank of Italy building on the corner. Circa 1910.

[Panel 2:]
Photo 1 - Upper Left:

Cameron House on Franklin Street was headquarters for actors who played at Widney Hall Theater. Circa 1869.

Photo 2 - Upper Right:
The bandstand in the City Park was the site for many early Santa Clara events. Circa 1900.

Photo 3 - Lower Left:
Franklin Street saw many parades while it served as Santa Clara’s main business street. Cherry Carnival Parade – May 1913.

Photo 4 - Lower Right:
This group of patriotic marchers
Old Downtown Santa Clara Marker Panel 2 (Left Side) image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, February 16, 2012
2. Old Downtown Santa Clara Marker Panel 2 (Left Side)
[Click image to enlarge]
head east on Franklin as the cross Washington Street. July 4, 1917.

Panel 3:]
Photo 1 - Upper Left

Santa Clara incorporated as a town in 1852. The first Town Hall and jail, built in 1891, was located on Main at the corner of Benton Street.

Photo 2 - Upper Right:
Santa Clara’s second City Hall and jail, locate at Franklin and Washington Streets, was built in 1913.

Photo 3 - Lower Left:
Oddfellows, Hall on Franklin at Washington, was built in 1867. Wade’s Pharmacy was located at this corner from 1944 to 1966.

Photo 4 - Lower Right:
Wilson’s Jewel Bakery, 1151 Franklin, operated 43 years at this site until displaced by the renewal project of the early 1960’s.
 
Location. 37° 20.959′ N, 121° 56.824′ W. Marker is in Santa Clara, California, in Santa Clara County. Marker is on Jackson Street south of Benton Street, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 950 Jackson Street, Santa Clara CA 95050, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Robert Menzel House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mission Santa Clara Veterans Memorial (about 500 feet away); Kersell/Lorente House
Old Downtown Santa Clara Marker Panel 3 (Right Side) image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, February 16, 2012
3. Old Downtown Santa Clara Marker Panel 3 (Right Side)
[Click image to enlarge]
(about 600 feet away); Johnson House (about 600 feet away); Dr. Saxe Office Building (about 600 feet away); Elim Community Church (about 600 feet away); Hichborn House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Russell – Robinson House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Santa Clara.
 
Categories. Notable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
 
Old Downtown Santa Clara Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, February 16, 2012
4. Old Downtown Santa Clara Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 915 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement