HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Near Potter in Atchison County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Historic Fort Leavenworth
Oldest Army Post in Continuous Existence West of the Missouri River

13 Miles South
 
Historic Fort Leavenworth Marker Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., December 9, 2011
1. Historic Fort Leavenworth Marker
 
Inscription.
Long before white men settled Kansas, traffic over the Santa Fe trail was so heavy that troops were detailed to protect it from the Indians. Fort Leavenworth, established in 1827 by Col. Henry Leavenworth, was for thirty years the chief base of operations on the Indian frontier. In 1839, Col. S.W. Kearny marched against the Cherokees with the largest U.S. mounted force yet assembled: ten companies of dragoons. In 1846, Col. A.W. Doniphan set out on his Mexican expedition; throughout the war with Mexico the Fort was the outfitting post for the Army of the West. During the 1850's, wagon teams hauled supplies over the Santa Fe, Oregon and other trails to all forts, posts and military camps of the West, some as far as the Pacific.

When Kansas territory was organized in 1854, Gov. Andrew Reeder set up executive offices at Fort Leavenworth. In 1881, Gen. William T. Sherman established the school which later became the Command and General Staff College, the highest tactical school in the Army educational system combining all arms and services. A 1926 graduate, with highest honors in his class, was Maj. Dwight D. Eisenhower.
 
Erected by Kansas Historical Society and State Highway Commission. (Marker Number 4(B).)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the
 
Historic Fort Leavenworth Marker Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., December 9, 2011
2. Historic Fort Leavenworth Marker
Looking northwest, with US Hwy 73 in distant upper right of photo
 
Kansas Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 39° 25.939′ N, 95° 5.198′ W. Marker is near Potter, Kansas, in Atchison County. Marker is at the intersection of Amelia Earhart Road (U.S. 73) and Kansas Route 74, on the left when traveling north on Amelia Earhart Road. Click for map. Marker is at a paved turnout off Kansas Route 74. Marker is in this post office area: Atchison KS 66002, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Wetland Habitats of the Past (approx. 5.7 miles away in Missouri); Easton Methodist Church (approx. 6.3 miles away); The Lewis and Clark Expedition (approx. 6.5 miles away in Missouri); Cow Island (approx. 6.5 miles away in Missouri); The Lewis and Clark Expedition Across Missouri (approx. 7.2 miles away in Missouri); Lewis and Clark in Missouri (approx. 7.2 miles away in Missouri); a different marker also named The Lewis and Clark Expedition Across Missouri (approx. 7.2 miles away in Missouri); Astronauts of the Shuttle Columbia (approx. 7.7 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. (Submitted on February 24, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
2. Frontier Army Museum, Fort Leavenworth. (Submitted on February 24, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
3. Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth. (Submitted on February 24, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on February 24, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 323 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 24, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 180 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.