Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Trinity in Trinity County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Old Red Schoolhouse

 
 
Old Red Schoolhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, September 18, 2011
1. Old Red Schoolhouse Marker
Inscription. Trinity's first schoolhouse was a one-room log structure built in 1872 near Cedar Grove Cemetery. A two-story frame schoolhouse that stood on this site from 1897 to 1911 was moved several blocks northwest to serve African American students. Under Supt. J. Woolam Bright, construction of a new brick building began here in 1911, and after many delays it opened by 1915. The prairie style, T-plan building housed all grade levels until completion of an adjacent high school in 1928. “Old Red” served as a schoolhouse for 80 years. When it was slated for demolition in the 1990s, concerned citizens and former students worked with the school district to preserve the historic building for continued use.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2004

 
Erected 2004 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15316.)
 
Location. 30° 56.57′ N, 95° 22.518′ W. Marker is in Trinity, Texas, in Trinity County. Marker is at the intersection of South Robb Street (State Highway 19) and West Jefferson Street, on the right when traveling south on South Robb Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 W San Jacinto St, Trinity TX 75862, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Old Red Schoolhouse image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, September 18, 2011
2. Old Red Schoolhouse
Marker located left of the entrance door.
At least 1 other marker is within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Huntsville (approx. 9.1 miles away).
 
Categories. Education
 
Old Red Schoolhouse image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, September 18, 2011
3. Old Red Schoolhouse
100 West San Jacinto Street
Built in 1915
Listed in the
National Register of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 424 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement