HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Montello in Marquette County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Montello Historical District
Montello "Mont L'eau" - Hill by the River
 
Montello "Mont L'eau" - Hill by the River Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Keith L, October 2, 2010
1. Montello "Mont L'eau" - Hill by the River Marker
 
Inscription. Once home to the Mound Builders, the Winnebago and the Menominee, destination of the voyageurs, a pioneer settlement harnessing diverse natural resources, today a modern community with a rich heritage.

The earliest eastern visitors observed the bluffs and Indian mounds surrounding "Lac de Boeuf" or Buffalo Lake. Sandhill cranes, deer, fish and ducks thrived in the "oak openings" and in the wild rice enhanced waters of the area. The Fox and Montello Rivers carried the canoes of the Native Americans and voyagers and later the pleasure boaters coming through the Montello locks. The railroad carried the famous Montello granite as well as the production of the many mills and farms. Now modern highways speed us on our journeys.

This Bird's Eye View of Montello from 1883 shows the town in the early days of the quarry development and highlights the many businesses then operating. Landforms, buildings and street names may have changed, but Montello remains a thriving community in the midst of nature's beauty.
 
Location. 43° 47.514′ N, 89° 19.628′ W. Marker is in Montello, Wisconsin, in Marquette County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (State Highway 22) and East Montello Street (State Highway 23), on the right when traveling north
 
Montello "Mont L'eau" - Hill by the River Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Keith L, October 2, 2010
2. Montello "Mont L'eau" - Hill by the River Marker
[center marker]
 
on Main Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Montello WI 53949, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Montello Granite (within shouting distance of this marker); John Muir Memorial Park (approx. 7.8 miles away); John Muir, Foster Son of Wisconsin (approx. 7.8 miles away); The Wee White Kirk (approx. 8.4 miles away); Walter March Ellis (approx. 8.7 miles away); John Muir Country (approx. 9.8 miles away); Princeton Cattle Fair (approx. 10.3 miles away); American Legion Post 366 War Memorial (approx. 10.4 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  History of Montello Wisconsin. (Submitted on February 29, 2012.)
 
Montello Historical District Markers Photo, Click for full size
By Keith L, October 2, 2010
3. Montello Historical District Markers
 
 
Montello Historical District Markers Photo, Click for full size
By Keith L, October 2, 2010
4. Montello Historical District Markers
 
 
Historical Photos Photo, Click for full size
By Keith L, October 2, 2010
5. Historical Photos
[left marker]
A 1918 view of the quarry works. The Montello Granite Company was founded in 1881. The 1882 extension of the railroad into Montello provided good shipping for the company. St. John the Baptist Catholic Church built in 1876 under the pastorate of Father Lamer before the quarry began. The parish numbered about 800. At the turn of the century, the church property was sold to the Granite Company and the present site at 277 E. Montello St. was purchased. Father Tully was pastor when the new church was built on that site in 1904. The foreground of the photo shows the old gazebo/bandstand where many musical performances were staged. Montello Granite Company's Davenport engine hauling huge blocks of granite blasted from the quarry hill. The blocks were chiseled, chipped, and polished at the quarry mostly for use as memorials such as Grant's Tomb. Montello Granite Monuments in 1911. The Manager, Mr. Cross, is in the center of the photo. The building burned in January, 1951, and was replaced by the present structure used by Universal Silencer Plant 017 on Park Street.
 
 
Historical Photos Photo, Click for full size
By Keith L, October 2, 2010
6. Historical Photos
[right marker]
Montello's second high school built in 1896 on the present day water tower hill overlooking the thriving community. At the turn of the century, the building became the grade school and served as such until 1963 when Forest Lane Elementary was built. The old school was torn down in the early 1970's after many years of educational service. The M.M. Smart block was a Montello landmark constructed on this site in 1909. The building began as a general store and was later a grocery. Upper floor businesses included a dentist (Dr. Hugh Grant) and a beauty shop. The American House Hotel and its horse barn occupied the site from the early 1870's until it was destroyed by the fire near the turn of the century. A Montello street parade dated Aug. 2, 1911, heading east up Nebraska Street (now Montello Street). The photo looks west toward Buffalo Lake. A picnic party locking through at Montello bound for Marquette in the Fox River in the early 1900's.
 
 
Nearby Waterfall Photo, Click for full size
By Keith L, October 2, 2010
7. Nearby Waterfall
Montello Lions Club Granite Falls Built with cooperation of Montello Granite Co. & The City of Montello Dedicated - June 25, 1966
 
 
Nearby Daggett Memorial Park Photo, Click for full size
By Keith L, October 2, 2010
8. Nearby Daggett Memorial Park
[old granite quarry site]
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on February 29, 2012, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 353 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on February 29, 2012, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 203 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.