Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Valley in Peach County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

James A. Everett

Founder of Fort Valley

 
 
James A. Everett Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 15, 2012
1. James A. Everett Marker
Inscription. Here on the Indian Path that connected two Indian Trails, from Hartford to Fort Hawkins and from Barnardís Crossing to the Old Creek Agency, James Abbington Everett established, in the 1820ís, the Indian Trading Post around which Fort Valley arose. He married Mary Beaufort Greene in 1835. At his death, in 1848, he owned 242 slaves, and more than 12,000 acres of land. A public benefactor, he gave land for church and school use here, secured for Fort Valley the Southwestern R.R., and devoted his wealth to Christian Education in Georgia.
 
Erected by Works Progress Administration. (Marker Number 49 D-6.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission, and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
 
Location. 32° 33.233′ N, 83° 53.283′ W. Marker is in Fort Valley, Georgia, in Peach County. Marker is on West Church Street 0 miles west of Anderson Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. The marker stands in front of the Fort Valley City Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 204 West Church Street, Fort Valley GA 31030, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Peach County (a few steps from this marker);
James A. Everett Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 15, 2012
2. James A. Everett Marker
The Peach County Courthouse is in the background, across West Church Street.
Confederate Dead (approx. one mile away); St. Lukeís Episcopal Church (approx. one mile away); Home of Samuel Henry Rumph (approx. 7.5 miles away); Gen. John B. Gordon (approx. 10.7 miles away); Governor John Houston (approx. 11.2 miles away); Perry Methodist Church (approx. 11.2 miles away); Perry United Methodist Church (approx. 11.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Fort Valley.
 
More about this marker. The marker was erected in the late 1930s.
 
Categories. EducationNative AmericansRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
James A. Everett Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 15, 2012
3. James A. Everett Marker
The Fort Valley City Hall is in the background.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 355 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement