Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Platte County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

The North Brothers

 
 
The North Brothers Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., February 18, 2012
1. The North Brothers Marker
Inscription.
The West produced many fighting men and ranking high among them are Frank and Luther North of Columbus, leaders of the legendary Pawnee Scouts. The Pawnee, located at their nearby reservation, were eager to cooperate with the Army in fighting their hereditary enemies the Sioux and Cheyenne. Organized as a fighting unit in 1864, they participated in the Powder River Campaigns of 1865 and 1876-1877 and the Republican River Campaign of 1869. They also guarded the builders of the first transcontinental railroad, 1867-1869. William F. Cody, "Buffalo Bill," later Frank North's ranching partner, first became associated with him in the campaign which culminated with the battle of Summit Springs, 1869.

Frank North was the commander of the Scouts and one of the West's most successful Indian fighters. The Pawnee revered him and knew him as Pani Leshar or Pawnee Chief. He was assisted on most of the campaigns by his brother Luther. The two brothers spoke Pawnee and a mutual respect and affection existed between them and the Indian soldiers. A number of other Columbus men, including Lt. Gustavus G. Becher, served as officers of the Scouts.

The Pawnee moved to Oklahoma in 1875. The North Brothers lived in Columbus the remainder of their lives after having contributed a colorful chapter to the story of the West.
 
Erected by
The North Brothers Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., February 18, 2012
2. The North Brothers Marker
Looking north
Becher-Curry Company and Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 100.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 41° 25.408′ N, 97° 22.108′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Nebraska, in Platte County. Marker is at the intersection of 33rd Avenue (U.S. 30/81) and 7th Street on 33rd Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at the Chamber of Commerce, adjacent to Pawnee Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 764 33rd Avenue, Columbus NE 68601, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Villasur Expedition (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Bernard Catholic Church Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named St. Bernard Catholic Church Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); Congregational Church Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named St. Bernard Catholic Church Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); Good Shepherd Lutheran Church Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); North Branch, Oregon Trail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Columbus Quincentenary Belltower (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbus.
 
Also see . . .  Frank Joshua North. (Submitted on March 3, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Native AmericansPatriots & PatriotismRailroads & StreetcarsWars, US Indian
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 356 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement