Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Police Oﬃcers Monument
"Lest We Forget"
Dedicated to the Memory
of police officers
who gave their lives
in the line of duty
"Lest We Forget"
Savannah Police Officers
Erected 1964 by Policeman Officers' Wives Association.
Location. 32° 4.555′ N, 81° 5.315′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is at the intersection of Oglethorpe Ave and E . Habersham Street, on the Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Police Station Steps (a few steps from this marker); 1812 Wesley Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); Nathanael Greene, Maj. Gen., Continental Army (within shouting distance of this marker); Barnard House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Great Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1820 (about 300 feet away); Conrad Aiken (about 400 feet away); James Habersham (about 400 feet away); Joseph Habersham (1751-1815) (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Savannah.
Regarding Police Officers Monument. The monument commemorates the policemen of Savannah, Georgia who have died in the line of duty since 1869. It was commissioned by a monument committee formed by the Policeman Officers' Wives Association.
The idea for the monument originated in 1963 when Association President Nell (Mrs. J. Percy) Fountain promised the wife of slain officer Harry H. Akins to perpetuate the memory of slain policemen. The site for the monument was dedicated June 12, 1964. The base was designed and fabricated by Graham C. Legget, owner of Leggett Marble and Granite Company of Savannah, and
The figure was modeled in 1964-1965 in white pine by local artist G. W. Woods, using city patrolman R. I. Ketterman as a model. The pine model was burned in an attempt to cast it in bronze. Policemen of the Savannah Police Department later found the charred model and restored it, paying for a new casting at Carolina Casting Corporation. The granite inscriptions on the base contained misspelled names and had to be replaced.
According to a 1993 Save Outdoor Sculpture survey, the sculpture was cleaned and varnished after the iron rusted and bled through to the exterior stainless steel.
Source: Smithsonian Institution Research Information System
Also see . . . City of Savannah. A memorial to local police officers killed in the line of duty was placed in front of city police headquarters in the Oglethorpe Avenue median at Habersham Street. The base was placed in 1964, the statue in 1982. (Submitted on February 11, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 3,346 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 6. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 7. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.