Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
West Hartford in Hartford County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Meeting House Corner

 
 
Meeting House Corner Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, February 1, 2012
1. Meeting House Corner Marker
Inscription.
Meeting House Corner
This park is the site of the first three meeting houses of the First Church of Christ, Congregational, organized in 1713. The parish of the west Division (West Hartford), the fourth in Hartford, was established in 1711. The first meeting house, used for both civic and religious functios, probably was erected in 1712. The second, erected in 1742-1744 on land given by Timothy Goodman, was a typical New England meeting house with a tower and a spire. The third, built in 1834 on land bought from Thomas Brace, resembled a Greek temple with a columned porch and a three-story belfry. It became the town hall when the fourth meeting house was built in 1881 at the southeast corner of Farmington Avenue and Main Street, near the location of the present (fifth) church building.
 
Location. 41° 45.722′ N, 72° 44.539′ W. Marker is in West Hartford, Connecticut, in Hartford County. Marker is at the intersection of Farmington Avenue and North Main Street, on the right when traveling west on Farmington Avenue. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: West Hartford CT 06107, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Connecticut Veterans Memorial West Hartford (here, next to this marker); West Hartford
Meeting House Corner Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, February 1, 2012
2. Meeting House Corner Marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); SS Maiden Creek (within shouting distance of this marker); Goodman Green (within shouting distance of this marker); First Public Library Building in West Hartford (within shouting distance of this marker); Webster Walk (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Webster Walk (about 600 feet away); Korczak Ziolkowski (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in West Hartford.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 379 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement