Seale in Russell County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Old Russell County Courthouse
Political opportunists kept confusion reigning; another election was held in 1868; Seale won; excavation began; records were removed from the former county seat at Crawford to a nearby store until rooms were sufficiently complete. Permanent funding was not enacted until 1871, the total cost being $9,600.00. Simeon O'Neal was the contractor. The wing rooms, the inside stairs, and exterior rebricking was accomplished in 1908. In 1935 the branch at Phenix City was elected the county seat with Seale remaining a branch until it was closed in 1943.
Erected 1984 by The Historic Chattahoochee Commission And The Old Russell County Courthouse Association.
Location. 32° 17.894′ N, 85° Click for map. Marker located to the grounds on the front right side of the old Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5 Jackson Street, Seale AL 36875, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Seale United Methodist Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Holland McTyeire Smith (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mitchell-Ferrell-Powell House (approx. 0.3 miles away); William Augustus Mitchell (approx. 0.3 miles away); John Bacon McDonald (approx. half a mile away); Villula (approx. 2.6 miles away); St. Peter A.M.E. Church Cemetery (approx. 5.5 miles away); Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church /Macedonia School (approx. 6.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Seale.
Categories. • Government • Political Subdivisions • Politics •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,548 times since then and 21 times this year. Last updated on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.