Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Woman's Building

Jeremiah Kiersted Cady, Architect

 

1906

 
Woman's Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, March 4, 2012
1. Woman's Building Marker
Inscription. This building, built for the Woman's Club of Madison, is significant for its association with the national Woman's Club movement and to the cultural and social history of Madison. Participation in Woman's Clubs was a catalyst for influencing civic affairs in an era when women were denied the right to vote. Madison's club formed in 1893 and through civic involvement became a powerful force for change. Local initiatives included educational reform and broadening on healthcare services. Cultural programs addressed politics, education, social action, art, history, music and literature.

Designated September 21, 2002
 
Erected 2012 by the Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 164.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission marker series.
 
Location. 43° 4.521′ N, 89° 23.578′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of West Gilman Street and State Street, on the right when traveling west on West Gilman Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 240 West Gilman Street, Madison WI 53703, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Vietnam War protesters and police clashed here
Woman's Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, March 4, 2012
2. Woman's Building Marker
This is the building at twilight during a light snow. The marker is up the stairs to the right.
(a few steps from this marker); The Temperance Movement Battled Madison's Breweries (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Braley House (about 400 feet away); Chi Phi Fraternity (about 600 feet away); Wootton - Mead House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Suhr House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Grimm Book Bindery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chi Psi Lodge (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Madison.
 
Regarding Woman's Building. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "The Woman's Building was built for the Woman's Club of Madison. Organized in 1893, the Club was the local manifestation of a nationwide women's movement during the Progressive Era. Not yet having the power to vote, women across the country organized Woman's Clubs to exercise their influence on local government. The Madison women's club had dramatic effects on local health and public safety issues, and was eventually able to establish a philanthropic committee to support local cultural programs."
 
Also see . . .  Madison Landmarks Commission. The landmark nomination form for the building (pdf). (Submitted on March 4, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.) 
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkPolitics
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 376 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement