Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sanford in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Peoples Bank Building and Block

Erected - 1905-1910

 

201-203 East First Street

 
The Peoples Bank Building and Block Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, December 30, 2011
1. The Peoples Bank Building and Block Marker
Inscription. The Peoples Bank building, on the Southeast corner of First Street and Magnolia Avenue, was completed in 1906 and was the most modern building in this block. The Peoples Bank opened its doors on August 30, 1906. It was built by the contractor W.G. Hammond of pressed white sand brick and stucco in an ell shape covered by a flat roof with parapet. There are brick pilasters on the West side. The building has been altered several times, one of which removed the extension on the west side..

The Peoples Bank Block, adjacent to and east of the Bank, was finished in 1910 and completed Sanford's commercial district on the south side of First Street between the Peoples Bank and the Hotchkiss Block. This area had been vacant since the block was razed by the September 1887 fire. The second floor served as offices for the Peoples Bank and the ground floor was used by the Howard-Packard Land Co. Construction is of white pressed sand brick in the Beaux-Arts Classicism style. A flat roof with parapet covers the rectangular floor plan. External decorations include a metal cornice, brackets and modillion and a brick stringcourse. A street level marquee covers the sidewalk.

Listed in the National Register of Historic Places - 1976

 
Erected 1989 by the Sanford Historic
The Peoples Bank Building and Block Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, December 30, 2011
2. The Peoples Bank Building and Block Marker
Preservation Board.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Florida, Sanford Historic Preservation Board marker series.
 
Location. 28° 48.697′ N, 81° 16.003′ W. Marker is in Sanford, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker is on East First Street west of Palmetto Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. The marker is mounted on the building, facing the sidewalk. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201-203 East First Street, Sanford FL 32771, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Meisch Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Sanford Herald Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The DeForest Block (within shouting distance of this marker); The N.P. Yowell and the Garner-Woodruff Buildings (within shouting distance of this marker); The Hill Hardware Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The U.S. Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); The Whalers Saloon (within shouting distance of this marker); The Imperial Opera House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Click for a list of all markers in Sanford.
 
Regarding The Peoples Bank Building and Block. The Peoples Bank Building and Block is not listed individually
The Peoples Bank Building and Block Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, December 30, 2011
3. The Peoples Bank Building and Block Marker
Seen mounted above the newspaper vending boxes
with the National Register of Historic Places. In the NRHP listing cited by the marker, the building is designated one of several Contributing Structures within the Sanford Commercial District, a National Historic District.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 
The Peoples Bank Building and Block image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, December 30, 2011
4. The Peoples Bank Building and Block
Seen here is the Block section, with the Bank section to the right.
The Peoples Bank Building and Block image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, December 30, 2011
5. The Peoples Bank Building and Block
Seen here is the Bank section on the corner, with the taller Block section behind it. The former bank is now a bookstore.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 317 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement