Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sanford in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Sanford Herald Building

Erected - 1910

 

107 South Magnolia Avenue

 
The Sanford Herald Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, December 30, 2011
1. The Sanford Herald Building Marker
Inscription. This two story building was built in 1910. It served the Sanford Herald, a newspaper that began publication in 1908, as offices and printing room. The architect and builder was W.G. Hammond.

The Sanford Lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF) was chartered on March 7, 1889. The lodge moved from Cypress Avenue to this building in 1933.

Construction is of rusticated concrete block and had the appearance of a small sixteenth century Florentine palazzo. The windows are plain with a cornice. A stringcourse separates the two floors. A flat roof with parapet covers the building. No significant changes have been made to the exterior.

Listed in the National Register of Historic Places - 1976

 
Erected 1989 by the Sanford Historic Preservation Board.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Florida, Sanford Historic Preservation Board marker series.
 
Location. 28° 48.679′ N, 81° 16.011′ W. Marker is in Sanford, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker is on South Magnolia Avenue north of East Second Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. The marker is mounted on the front of the building, facing the sidewalk. Marker
The Sanford Herald Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, December 30, 2011
2. The Sanford Herald Building Marker
is at or near this postal address: 107 South Magnolia Avenue, Sanford FL 32771, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Hill Hardware Building (a few steps from this marker); The Peoples Bank Building and Block (within shouting distance of this marker); The DeForest Block (within shouting distance of this marker); The Imperial Opera House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Meisch Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The N.P. Yowell and the Garner-Woodruff Buildings (within shouting distance of this marker); The Whalers Saloon (within shouting distance of this marker); The U.S. Post Office (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Click for a list of all markers in Sanford.
 
Regarding The Sanford Herald Building. The Sanford Herald Building is not listed individually with the National Register of Historic Places. In the NRHP listing cited by the marker, the building is designated one of several Contributing Structures within the Sanford Commercial District, a National Historic District.
 
Categories. Fraternal or Sororal OrganizationsNotable Buildings
 
The Sanford Herald Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, December 30, 2011
3. The Sanford Herald Building Marker
Seen mounted between the windows
The Sanford Herald Building image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, December 30, 2011
4. The Sanford Herald Building
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 400 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement