Grand Island in Hall County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Martin building was designed for J.D. Martin by local architect, Oscar Kirschke. The building was completed in 1914 for approximately $55,000. One of the first occupants was the funeral chapel and morgue of the Buchheit-O'Loughlin Furniture and Undertaking company. Other notable businesses that occupied the building include: The Singer Sewing Co., Mode O'Day Frock Shop, and the Lucern Rooms on the 2nd floor.
Erected 2010 by Grand Island Business Improvement District.
Location. 40° 55.481′ N, 98° 20.59′ W. Marker is in Grand Island, Nebraska, in Hall County. Marker is at the intersection of Walnut Street and 3rd Street, on the right when traveling north on Walnut Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 324 West 3rd Street, Grand Island NE 68801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Federal Building (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Dodge School (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Yancey (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Lincoln Memorial Highway (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hall County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 Fort O. K. Cannon (approx. 0.2 miles away); Civil War and Spanish-American War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pioneer Park (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Grand Island.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 462 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.