Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sanford in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Imperial Opera House

Erected - 1910

 

119 South Magnolia Avenue

 
The Imperial Opera House Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, December 30, 2011
1. The Imperial Opera House Marker
Inscription. Sanford's center for entertainment, the Imperial Opera House opened June 15, 1910. The contractor W.G. Hammond built the building for the owners T.J. Miller and son. George A. DeCottes was the first lessee of this building which replaced a barn-like structure across the street as the town's opera house.

The building is constructed in the Florentine Palazzo style of rusticated concrete block with a flat roof and parapet. The exterior has since been covered with stucco and the mezzanine windows and the arched doors have been enclosed. The front of the building features a suspended canopy with a mansard roof which was added after 1925.

Listed in the National Register of Historic Places - 1976

 
Erected 1989 by the Sanford Historic Preservation Board.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Florida, Sanford Historic Preservation Board marker series.
 
Location. 28° 48.654′ N, 81° 16.011′ W. Marker is in Sanford, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker is at the intersection of South Magnolia Avenue and East Second Street, on the right when traveling north on South Magnolia Avenue. Click for map. The marker is mounted along the corner of the building,
The Imperial Opera House Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, December 30, 2011
2. The Imperial Opera House Marker
facing the sidewalk. Marker is at or near this postal address: 119 South Magnolia Avenue, Sanford FL 32771, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Sanford Herald Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Hill Hardware Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Peoples Bank Building and Block (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The DeForest Block (about 300 feet away); The Whalers Saloon (about 300 feet away); The N.P. Yowell and the Garner-Woodruff Buildings (about 300 feet away); The Meisch Building (about 300 feet away); The E. E. Brady Livery Stable (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Sanford.
 
Regarding The Imperial Opera House. The Imperial Opera House building is not listed individually with the National Register of Historic Places. In the NRHP listing cited by the marker, the building is designated one of several Contributing Structures within the Sanford Commercial District, a National Historic District.
 
Categories. EntertainmentNotable Buildings
 
The Imperial Opera House Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, December 30, 2011
3. The Imperial Opera House Marker
Mounted on the corner of the building
The Former Imperial Opera House image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, December 30, 2011
4. The Former Imperial Opera House
The Wayne Densch Performing Arts Center image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, December 30, 2011
5. The Wayne Densch Performing Arts Center
Directly across the street from the old Imperial Opera House is the Wayne Densch Performing Arts Center, built in 1923 as the Ritz Theater (and later also known as the Helen Stairs Theatre). This building was listed with the National Register of Historic Places in 2001 (reference #00001130).
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 348 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement