Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Avery in Calaveras County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Avery One-Room School House

 
 
Avery One-Room School House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, March 3, 2012
1. Avery One-Room School House Marker
Inscription. Avery one-room school was established April 4, 1886. School was in session from March to December due to winter snows that kept the highway closed.

Hazel Fischer taught here from July 1916 to March 1941. Ms Fischer took all the students to San Francisco World’s Fair in 1939. She was also known to take them swimming for their physical education.

The school closed in March 1941.

When the present highway was constructed and the timber industry grew, a new school was built in White Pines.
 
Erected 2011 by E Clampus Vitus, Matuca Chapter 1849.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 38° 12.173′ N, 120° 22.206′ W. Marker is near Avery, California, in Calaveras County. Marker can be reached from Ebbets Pass Highway (State Highway 4). Click for map. This marker is on an 'abandoned' side road to the Ebbetts Pass Highway. It is on the right when heading west (downhill). Marker is at or near this postal address: 4697 Ebbets Pass Highway, Avery CA 95224, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Avery Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Avery Hotel
Avery One-Room School House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, March 3, 2012
2. Avery One-Room School House Marker
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Doc S.C. Linebaugh Park (approx. 4.5 miles away); White Pines History (approx. 4.8 miles away); California Big Trees State Park (approx. 6.2 miles away); Discovery and Exploitation (approx. 6.2 miles away); Hanging On By A Branch (approx. 6.4 miles away); Site of Brownsville (approx. 6.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Avery.
 
Also see . . .  The Avery School and Hazel Fischer. John Hofstetter of the Sierra Nevada Logging Museum writes that Hazel Fischer began teaching at Avery School in 1917. When the opening of the Blagen Mill, in the late 1930′s, increased attendance dramatically, they had double sessions at the Avery School and one class, taught by Miss Wilma Avery, was held in the dining room of the Avery Hotel. (Submitted on March 8, 2012.) 
 
Categories. Education
 
The Avery One-Room School House image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, March 3, 2012
3. The Avery One-Room School House
Avery One-Room School House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, March 3, 2012
4. Avery One-Room School House Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 460 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement