Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sanford in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The DeForest Block

Erected - 1887

 

121 East First Street

 
The DeForest Block Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, December 30, 2011
1. The DeForest Block Marker
Inscription. The DeForest Block, built in 1887, was Mr. Henry L. DeForest's first brick building in the downtown commercial district. It is one of the oldest brick buildings in Sanford and the only one that survived the disastrous fire of 1887. One of the original occupants was a grocery store. It has also been called the Seminole Bank Building after another of its early occupants.

The architectural style is Beaux-Arts Classicism with a rectangular floor plan and a flat roof with parapet. There is an elaborate metal classical cornice at the roof and segmental pediments over the windows. There is also a stringcourse and visible division of bays at the side. The building has been covered with a light coat of stucco but the original details have not been lost.

The eastern half of the building underwent some significant alterations in 1917 when it became the Seminole County Bank. These included adding corner brackets on the cornice, covering the recessed panels of the frieze and installing engaged panels on the facade which have since been removed. Additional alterations occurred in 1941.

Listed in the National Register of Historic Places - 1976

 
Erected 1989 by the Sanford Historic Preservation Board.
 
Marker series.
The DeForest Block Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, December 30, 2011
2. The DeForest Block Marker
This marker is included in the Florida, Sanford Historic Preservation Board marker series.
 
Location. 28° 48.696′ N, 81° 16.03′ W. Marker is in Sanford, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker is on East First Street east of Park Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. The marker is mounted on the building, facing the sidewalk. Marker is at or near this postal address: 121 East First Street, Sanford FL 32771, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The N.P. Yowell and the Garner-Woodruff Buildings (within shouting distance of this marker); The Hill Hardware Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Peoples Bank Building and Block (within shouting distance of this marker); The Sanford Herald Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The DeForest Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Meisch Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Brumley - Puleston Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The First National Bank No. 2 (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Sanford.
 
Regarding The DeForest Block. The DeForest Block is not listed individually with the National Register of Historic Places. In the NRHP listing cited by the marker, the
The DeForest Block Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, December 30, 2011
3. The DeForest Block Marker
building is designated one of several Contributing Structures within the Sanford Commercial District, a National Historic District.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 
The DeForest Block image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, December 30, 2011
4. The DeForest Block
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 303 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement