Groveton in Trinity County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The county seat was moved from Pennington to Groveton in 1882. By 1884 the first permanent court house was completed and the town included a barber shop, grocery store, drug store, hotel, boarding house, several saloons, homes, and a school. The city was incorporated on September 29, 1919 and officials were elected.
By 1930 all the timber for miles had been cut; consequently, the sawmill closed December 31, 1930. The once prosperous town of Groveton went into decline. The Civilian Conservation Corps was responsible for road construction and a reforestation program in the 1930s. Through the years Groveton has seen economic booms and hard times, but as the county seat, it has survived to leave a rich heritage.
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7960.)
Marker series. This marker is included Civilian Conservation Corps marker series.
Location. 31° 3.342′ N, 95° 7.608′ W. Marker is in Groveton, Texas, in Trinity County. Marker is at the intersection of First Street (U.S. 287) and Main Street, on the left when traveling east on First Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 162 W First St, Groveton TX 75845, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Trinity County Seats (a few steps from this marker); Trinity County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker).
Also see . . . Groveton, TX. The Handbook of Texas Online, Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on March 11, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 379 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.