Groveton in Trinity County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Trinity County Seats
The town of Trinity (20 mi. SW) was named the new county seat by legislative act. In 1874, however, local voters chose to relocate the seat of government at Pennington (12 mi. NW). A courthouse fire there in 1876, coupled with the theft of district court records in 1880, led county residents to consider a new site for the government offices.
As the result of an election on October 7, 1882, the sawmill and railroad town of Groveton became the fourth seat of Trinity County. Official records were moved here 13 days later. The courthouse square was donated by the Trinity & Sabine Timber Co.
The history of the Trinity County seats reflects a proud heritage based on early struggles and hopes of the area's pioneer settlers.
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7971.)
Location. Click for map. Located in the courthouse square. Marker is at or near this postal address: 162 W First St, Groveton TX 75845, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Groveton (a few steps from this marker); Trinity County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker).
Also see . . . Trinity County. The Handbook of Texas Online, Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on March 12, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Politics • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 245 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.