Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Worth in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Thomas B. Saunders Family

 
 
Thomas B. Saunders Family Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, May 22, 2010
1. Thomas B. Saunders Family Marker
Inscription. A native of North Carolina, Thomas Bailey Saunders (1816-1902) migrated to Texas in 1850 and started a cattle ranch near Gonzales. After the Civil War he completed cattle drives to markets in New Orleans and Kansas before settling in Bexar County.

Two of Saunders' twelve children were also involved in the cattle industry. William David Harris Saunders (1845-1922) helped supply beef for Confederate forces during the Civil War and later became a successful Goliad merchant and rancher.

Another son, George Washington Saunders (1854-1933), became a noted trail driver of the 1870s. He later opened a livestock commission in San Antonio.

Thomas B. Saunders, II (1872-1929), the son of William, owned a livestock firm in Houston. He later moved here and in 1902 became the first cattle dealer on the Fort Worth Stockyards. He was a pioneer in the transporting of cattle by truck. His son Thomas B. Saunders, III (1906-1974), was involved in extensive ranching operations throughout the Southwest. During the 1930s economic depression, he started a cattle clearinghouse for traders, order buyers, and commission companies.

Since the 1850s, Saunders family members have been actively involved in the Texas cattle industry.
 
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker
Thomas B. Saunders Family Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, May 22, 2010
2. Thomas B. Saunders Family Marker
Number 5465.)
 
Location. 32° 47.307′ N, 97° 20.907′ W. Marker is in Fort Worth, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of East Exchange Avenue and North Main Street (U.S. 287), on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Located along the riverwalk in the Stockyards. Stairs to the riverwalk are to the left of Cattlemen's Steak House on N Main St. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 E Exchange Ave, Fort Worth TX 76164, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Worth Stock Yards Entrance (within shouting distance of this marker); Thannisch Block Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Bulldogger (within shouting distance of this marker); The Coliseum (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Quarter Horse Shows (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Worth Stockyards Horse and Mule Barns (about 500 feet away); Quanah Parker (about 600 feet away); Fort Worth Livestock Exchange (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Fort Worth.
 
Also see . . .  George Washington Saunders. The Handbook of Texas Online, Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on March 12, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Notable Persons
 
Riverwalk near North Main Street and East Exchange Street image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, May 22, 2010
3. Riverwalk near North Main Street and East Exchange Street
Within the Stockyards.
The riverwalk crosses under East Exchange Street. image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, May 22, 2010
4. The riverwalk crosses under East Exchange Street.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 440 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement