Stamford in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
1781 - 1783
In August, 1781 Gov. Jonathan Trumbull and the Council of Safety ordered construction of fortifications near Stamford to prevent a surprise attack from the enemy. Designed by Col. Rufus Putnam, and erected and garrisoned by Brig. Gen. David Waterbury of Stamford with 700 state troops, Fort Stamford was completed in December, 1781.
In February, 1782 Maj. Hugh Maxwell and a Massachusetts detachment of 150 men were dispatched to man the fort until the arrival in force of the state militia under the command of Lt. Col. Samuel Canfield. The garrison served until 1783, keeping this area secure from enemy incursion.
“ . . . That every one would strive to maintain
that glorious spirit which will do the country
and themselves the highest honour. ”
Gen. Waterbury to his troops
Kiwanis Club of Stamford
Stamford Historical Society
Erected 1976 by Stamford Bicentennial, Kiwanis Club of Stamford, & Stamford Historical Society.
Location. 41° 5.1′ N, 73° 34.701′ W. Marker is in Stamford, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is on Westover Road, on the right Click for map. Marker is located in Fort Stamford Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 900 Westover Road, Stamford CT 06902, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Fort Stamford (a few steps from this marker); Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients (within shouting distance of this marker); Liberty Tree Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Stamford Iraq War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Michael F. Lione Memorial Park (approx. 2.4 miles away); Christopher Columbus (approx. 2.9 miles away); Charles E. Rowell (approx. 2.9 miles away); Edward A. Connell Heritage Park (approx. 3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Stamford.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 545 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.