East Norwalk in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
A Calf Pasture Primer
Norwalk’s first European settlers grazed their cattle on this property – hence the name “Calf Pasture.” Among these earliest arrivals was Matthew Marvin, who moved to Norwalk in 1651 (the year the town was founded). His son, Matthew Jr., bought a parcel between the Norwalk and “Saketuck” rivers from the native Americans in 1669.
Seven generations later, in December 1836, William and Amanda Marvin settled into a 19-room farmhouse on the family property. William Marvin gradually purchased adjacent parcels, creating “one of the fairest domains in Southern New England.”
His granddaughters, Orie Marvin and Mary Louise Marvin Taylor, donated the family’s beach property in the city in 1922. Calf Pasture Beach Park was ceremoniously opened in May 1924.
Mary Louise’s sons, William Marvin Taylor and Frederick Bradford Taylor, sold the family’s remaining property to the city in 1968. Thirty acres were turned into Taylor Farm Park and 10 acres were designated for the new Marvin School.
The city purchased the land for Shady Beach, with its wooded area for picnicking, from Louis & Helen Canevari in 1952.
Location. 41° 5.174′ N, 73° 23.594′ W. Marker is in East Norwalk, Connecticut Click for map. Marker is located at Calf Pasture Beach. Marker is in this post office area: Norwalk CT 06851, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Taylor Farm Park (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lifeguarding History (approx. 0.2 miles away); Harvesting from the Sea (approx. 0.2 miles away); The British Invasion (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Marvin Property (approx. 0.4 miles away); Roger Ludlow (approx. 0.7 miles away); Fitch’s Point (approx. ¾ mile away); A Habitat Renewed (approx. 1.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in East Norwalk.
More about this marker. Three photos, courtesy of The Norwalk Museum, appear on the right of the marker. One depicts “A view down to the water (and the future site of Calf Pasture Beach) from the Marvin property circa 1869. Note the encampment and schooner masts in the distance.” Below this are two photos of people on the beach and has a caption of “Since its opening in May 1924, Calf Pasture Beach has been a popular site for swimming, picnicking and other activities of leisure and recreation.”
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 526 times since then and 92 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.