“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)

Old Cheshire Bridge Road

Old Cheshire Bridge Road Marker Site image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, March 11, 2012
1. Old Cheshire Bridge Road Marker Site
Inscription. In 1864 the Old Cheshire Bridge Rd., leading E. from Buckhead generally on the trace of the present E. Pace’s Fy. Rd., crossed this area & ran S.E. to N. Fork Peachtree Cr. & beyond.

Howard’s 4th A.C. [US], marching from Power’s Ferry, encamped at Buckhead, July 18.

When it was found that a gap in the Federal line N.E. of Atlanta required additional forces, two divs. of Howard’s A.C. were shifted to the left. Stanley’s div., July 19, followed by Wood on the 20th, left Buckhead on Cheshire Bridge Rd. & via the old Williams Mill Road (Briarcliff), joined Schofield’s 23d A.C.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 060-20.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 33° 50.313′ N, 84° 22.12′ W. Marker was in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker was at the intersection of Piedmont Road NE (Georgia Route 237) and East Paces Ferry Road NE, on the right when traveling north on Piedmont Road NE. Click for map. Marker was in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30305, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. 4th A.C. at Buckhead (approx. 0.4 miles away); “The Storyteller” (approx. 0.6 miles away); Civil War Siege Cannon (approx. 1.1 miles away); Ward's Div. Encamped (approx. 1.2 miles away); Site of Old Cheshire Bridge (approx. 1.3 miles away); King's Brigade (approx. 1.5 miles away); Sardis Methodist Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); 20th A.C.; Pace's Fy. Rd. (approx. 1.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Atlanta.
More about this marker. The marker has been missing since at least 1999; the post was standing until some time in 2011. There is now no trace of the post or marker.

Text for the missing marker was taken from “Georgia Historical Markers” (Bay Tree Grove, Second Edition 1978) compiled by Carroll P. Scruggs from the records of the Georgia Historical Commission.
Categories. War, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 426 times since then and 104 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of marker prior to its disappearance? • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement