Sanford in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The First National Bank No. 1
Erected - 1883
—101 West First Street —
The Neo-Classical style facade of white marble over a brick foundation has been partially masked by stucco. The floor plan is square and the roof is flat with a parapet. The original windows were arched on both floors but are now rectangular. In 1908 the main entrance was at the corner near the intersection of Park Avenue and First Street. It has since been moved to the center of the building on First Street. The Doric half columns flanking the main entrance and the pilasters running up to a second floor cornice are little changed.
Erected 1989 by the Sanford Historic Preservation Board.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Florida, Sanford Historic Preservation Board marker series.
Location. 28° 48.696′ N, 81° 16.09′ W. Marker is in Sanford, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker is at the intersection of West First Street and Park Avenue, on the left Click for map. The marker is mounted on the building, facing the sidewalk. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 West First Street, Sanford FL 32771, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rollins College (a few steps from this marker); The First National Bank No. 2 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Henry B. Lord Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Brumley - Puleston Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The PICO Block (within shouting distance of this marker); The DeForest Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The DeForest Block (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The N.P. Yowell and the Garner-Woodruff Buildings (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Sanford.
Regarding The First National Bank No. 1. The First National Bank No. 1 building is not listed individually with the National Register of Historic Places. In the NRHP listing cited by the marker, the building is designated one of several Contributing Properties within the Sanford Commercial District, a National Historic District.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 288 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.