“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Baytown in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

The Bayland Guards

The Bayland Guards Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, March 17, 2012
1. The Bayland Guards Marker
Inscription. On April 27, 1861, Dr. Ashbel Smith organized a group of volunteers from Bayland (now Baytown) and Cedar Bayou in Harris County, and Barbers Hill in Chambers County. The group, known as the Bayland Guards, drilled on Smith’s Evergreen Plantation and worked in local defense of Galveston Bay. On August 13, 1861, they mustered into the Confederate forces as Company C of the Galveston Infantry Regiment. The regiment was redesignated in October as the Second Texas Infantry Regiment and that December, it moved to Camp Bee in Houston. Among the Bayland Guards were three sons of Republic of Texas presidents Sam Houston and Anson Jones: Samuel Houston, Jr., Charles Elliot Jones and Samuel Edward Jones.

The Bayland Guards fought with the rest of the regiment at the Battles of Shiloh, Corinth and Hatchie Bridge in 1862. At the Battle of Shiloh, half of Company C was wounded or killed. During the Vicksburg campaign in 1863, the Second Texas distinguished itself by defending a crescent-shaped fortification in the center of the line of Confederate defense while withstanding Union assaults and 46 days and nights of shelling and bombardment. The Second Texas infantry and the other defenders were surrendered at Vicksburg on July 4, 1863 and were promptly paroled to make their way back to Texas.

The decimated regiment reorganized
Bayland Orphanage, The Bayland Guards and Confederate Naval Works at Goose Creek Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans
2. Bayland Orphanage, The Bayland Guards and Confederate Naval Works at Goose Creek Marker
at Houston in the fall of 1863 and served out the war on the Texas coast from Matagorda to Galveston, helping to deter General Banks’ attempt to invade Texas early in 1864. The regiment was surrendered on May 26, 1865. After the war, many members of the Bayland Guards became leaders and respected individuals in their communities.
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15755.)
Location. 29° 42.785′ N, 94° 59.611′ W. Marker is in Baytown, Texas, in Harris County. Marker can be reached from Wyoming Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Located in Bayland Park. Marker is in this post office area: Baytown TX 77520, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bayland Orphanage (here, next to this marker); Confederate Naval Works at Goose Creek (here, next to this marker); Goose Creek Stream (approx. 1.8 miles away); K'Nesseth Israel Synagogue (approx. 2.1 miles away); Morgan's Point Cemetery (approx. 2.4 miles away); Homesite of William Scott (approx. 2.7 miles away); Humble Oil & Refining Company (approx. 2.9 miles away); Wade and Mamie Irvin House (approx. 3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Baytown.
Categories. War, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 349 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement