“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lakeland in Polk County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)

Munn Park

Munn Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, December 22, 2011
1. Munn Park Marker
Inscription. Munn Park was established in 1884 as a town square in Lakeland's first subdivision, the original Munn's Subdivision. Later the entire block was dedicated by Abraham Munn as a "Public Square" in perpetuity, to forever remain in public ownership. As early as 1889 the site was developed for public use, including walks, bandstand and a well. About this time it was briefly known as Drane Park and served as a backdrop to Lakeland's first train station located at the park's northern border.

Early in the 20th century the park served as an outdoor meeting place and center of public debate. Over the years the park has undergone several changes. In 1910 a Confederate monument was placed in the center of a circular walkway to honor those who died in the Civil War. Later ponds and gardens were added. In 1961, angular pattern walkways replaced the circle. A gazebo and the lighted, musical "waltzing waters" fountain were added features.

In 1989 the park was redesigned to enhance the character of the surrounding Munn Park Historic District. The redesign has taken the park back to the more simplistic "Town Square Era" in which the district was originally developed.

The City of Lakeland proudly rededicates this park to the residents of Lakeland and recognizes the contribution of the Lakeland Area Chamber of Commerce Visual Improvement
Munn Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, December 22, 2011
2. Munn Park Marker
Seen in the lower right corner
Task Force which raised funds for the project. Throughout the park names of contributors are placed on items they purchased through the "Own a Piece of the Park" campaign. The City thanks all those who contributed to this community effort.
Erected by the City of Lakeland.
Location. 28° 2.657′ N, 81° 57.318′ W. Marker is in Lakeland, Florida, in Polk County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and Kentucky Avenue, on the left when traveling east on East Main Street. Click for map. The marker is located at the southeast entrance to Munn Park in downtown Lakeland. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 East Main Street, Lakeland FL 33801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Polk County Confederate Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Munn Park Historic District (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Polk Theatre and Office Building (about 700 feet away); The Oates Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Second Mass. Infantry Camp (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Women's Club of Lakeland (approx. 0.4 miles away);
Munn Park's Confederate Memorial image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, December 22, 2011
3. Munn Park's Confederate Memorial
The Sorosis Club Building (approx. half a mile away); The Frank Lloyd Wright Campus of Florida Southern College (approx. 0.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Lakeland.
More about this marker. The marker is mounted on the base of a column which supports one of several arched entryways to the park.
Categories. Man-Made Features
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 316 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement