Lamar in Aransas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of the Town of Lamar
Mirabeau B. Lamar
1798 – 1859
President of the
Republic of Texas
1838 – 1841
Established in 1838
Made a Port of Entry in 1839
Sacked by Union Troops
Feb. 11, 1864
Survived until 1914
but never flourished.
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 3018.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 28° 8.31′ N, 97° 0.435′ W. Marker is in Lamar, Texas, in Aransas County. Marker is on Texas Route 35 0.1 miles south of East Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Located just north of the Copano Bridge (LBJ Causeway) and is hidden by brush and palms. Marker is in this post office area: Rockport TX 78382, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mills Wharf (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Fagan (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Lamar Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); Stella Maris Chapel Site of One of the Homes of James Power (approx. 2.5 miles away); Aransas County Airport (approx. 4 miles away); Fulton Cemetery (approx. 5.1 miles away); Fulton Packeries (approx. 5.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Lamar.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 545 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on . 3, 4. submitted on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.