Rockport in Aransas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Old Courthouse
Constructed from shellcrete in 1889, Gordon’s courthouse featured multiple arched windows and a teardrop dome. The building included a basement and towered over the two-story jail, windmill, and other nearby structures. During World War II, Rockport citizens used the cupola to look for enemy planes.
The first county judge to preside in the courthouse was Paul Phelan Court. In 1893, the county erected a spiked wrought iron fence around the building to keep out roaming livestock. Four sets of iron steps, each opposite an entrance to the building, provided access over the fence. Later, a brick foundation was added under the fence.
The majestic courthouse did not survive the modernization movement of the early 1950s. Its furnishings were sold at auction, and the shellcrete walls became riprap to protect the shoreline. Gordon’s beautiful
Erected 2011 by Visionaries in Preservation, Aransas County Historical Society, Inc., Texas Historical Foundation, Texas Tropical Trail/Texas Historical Commission, Aransas County Historical Commission, City of Rockport, and Margaret Sue Rust Foundation. (Marker Number 3.)
Location. 28° 1.559′ N, 97° 3.163′ W. Marker is in Rockport, Texas, in Aransas County. Marker is on North Live Oak Street near East Mimosa Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. The marker is near the entrance to the Aransas County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 N Live Oak St, Rockport TX 78382, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Aransas County (here, next to this marker); St. Peter’s Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Bracht House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sacred Heart Catholic Church (about 600 feet away); First Presbyterian Church of Rockport (about 700 feet away); Rockport’s Seafood Industry Woman’s Club of Aransas County Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fulton-Bruhl House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Rockport.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 569 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on . • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.