Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rockport in Aransas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Rockport’s Grand Hotels

 
 
Rockport’s Grand Hotels Marker image. Click for full size.
By Norman Frank, March 16, 2012
1. Rockport’s Grand Hotels Marker
Inscription. Before the arrival of the railroad in 1888, hotels in Rockport generally served clientele of the several local packeries. The Congdon Hotel was the leading hostelry of early Rockport and once served as a boarding home to the prominent Robert Driscoll family in the 1880s.

Rail service changed Rockport from a cattle town to a tourist resort. The Congdon became the Orleans Hotel, and the Bruhl Hotel, located on South Water Street, became the Bay Side Inn. This two-story exclusive hotel was frequented by the San Antonio “social set.” Its front entrance boasted a single turret with windows. It was destroyed in the 1919 hurricane.

In 1889, John Traylor built the Aransas Hotel (later renamed as the Del Mar) near the Rockport Harbor. A three-story hotel with one hundred rooms, it was, at its opening, the largest wooden structure in South Texas. Orchestras played nightly in a dining room that seated two hundred people. It also had its own bakery, and its bedroom furniture was made by state prisoner in Huntsville.

The Del Mar survived the 1916 hurricane but was destroyed by fire on March 2, 1919, a few months before the devastating September 1919 hurricane.

In 1900, the three-story La Playa Hotel was built on the Rocky Point south of the Del Mar. It became Rockport’s leading hotel until being
Rockport’s Grand Hotels Markers image. Click for full size.
By Norman Frank, March 16, 2012
2. Rockport’s Grand Hotels Markers
partially destroyed by the 1919 hurricane. Eleven people, trapped on an upper floor during the storm, all survived. The 1916 and 1919 hurricanes ended Rockport’s era of grand hotels.
 
Erected 2011 by Visionaries in Preservation, Aransas County Historical Society, Inc., Texas Historical Foundation, Texas Tropical Trail, Aransas County Historical Commission, City of Rockport, and Margaret Sue Rust Foundation. (Marker Number 4.)
 
Location. 28° 1.305′ N, 97° 3.06′ W. Marker is in Rockport, Texas, in Aransas County. Marker is at the intersection of South Austin Street (State Highway 70) and Wharf Street, on the left when traveling south on South Austin Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rockport TX 78382, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Aransas Hotel (here, next to this marker); Rockport’s Wharves and Pavilions (within shouting distance of this marker); Sorenson-Stair Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Rockport Pilot (about 300 feet away); The Packeries of Rockport (about 500 feet away); The San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad in Rockport
First Eight Signs for Rockport's Pathways to History image. Click for full size.
By Norman Frank, March 21, 2012
3. First Eight Signs for Rockport's Pathways to History
(about 700 feet away); First Methodist Church of Rockport (about 800 feet away); Shipyards in Rockport (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Rockport.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
#9 and Future Signage for Rockport's Pathways to History image. Click for full size.
By Norman Frank, March 21, 2012
4. #9 and Future Signage for Rockport's Pathways to History
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 589 times since then and 26 times this year. Last updated on . Photos:   1, 2. submitted on .   3, 4. submitted on . • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement