Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rockport in Aransas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Rockport’s Harbor

 
 
Rockport’s Harbor Marker image. Click for full size.
By Norman Frank, March 21, 2012
1. Rockport’s Harbor Marker
Inscription. In 1866, James Doughty and Richard H. Wood, searching for a safe harbor location to ship cattle, built pens and a livestock-shipping wharf on “Rocky Point,” a prominent limestone protrusion that extended into Aransas Bay near present-day Wharf Street. Other wharves and pens followed. Soon, a regular schedule of Morgan Line shallow-draft steamboats arrived with merchandise for distribution inland, and then departed with cattle and packer products.

The arrival of the railroad in 1888 ignited a boom in Rockport, prompting local businessmen to begin advertising a strategic harbor near the Gulf. They also pushed to deepen the harbor and create a deep-water port, but the effort ended when Corpus Christi opened its port in 1926.

However, abundant harvests of fish, oysters, and shrimp fueled a thriving seafood industry. By 1910, fish houses anchored the southwest side of the Rockport harbor, and numerous fishing boats moored at harbor wharves.

The Rockport Marine Laboratory began in 1935 aboard the houseboat Vivian. In 1947, a permanent building was constructed on the southeast side of the harbor to house the Marine Lab and an aquarium.

Established in 1925, The Aransas County Navigation District began a program to improve the harbor. By 1940, a new breakwater and a concrete piling
Rockport’s Harbor Marker in Median image. Click for full size.
By Norman Frank, March 21, 2012
2. Rockport’s Harbor Marker in Median
and steel seawall created a small-craft safety basin which became Rockport’s famous “fish bowl” harbor.
 
Erected 2011 by Visionaries in Preservation, Aransas County Historical Society, Inc., Texas Historical Foundation, Texas Tropical Trail/Texas Historical Commission, Aransas county Historical Commission, City of Rockport, and Margaret Sue Rust Foundation. (Marker Number 8.)
 
Location. 28° 1.568′ N, 97° 2.87′ W. Marker is in Rockport, Texas, in Aransas County. Marker is on Veterans Memorial Drive 0.1 miles east of Chamber Street, in the median. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Veterans Memorial Drive, Rockport TX 78382, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Big Blue Crab (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rockport Marine Laboratory (about 600 feet away); Hoopes-Smith House (about 700 feet away); Woman’s Club of Aransas County Building (about 700 feet away); Fulton-Bruhl House (about 700 feet away); Rockport’s Seafood Industry (about 800 feet away); First National Bank of Rockport (about 800 feet away); Aransas County Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Rockport.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceWaterways & Vessels
 
First Eight Signs for Rockport's Pathways to History image. Click for full size.
By Norman Frank, March 21, 2012
3. First Eight Signs for Rockport's Pathways to History
Future Signage for Rockport's Pathways to History image. Click for full size.
By Norman Frank, March 21, 2012
4. Future Signage for Rockport's Pathways to History
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 490 times since then and 6 times this year. Last updated on . Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on . • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement