Berkeley in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Walter H. Ratcliﬀ, Jr., Architect, 1925
—Listed on the National Register of Historic Places —
designated in 1982
Built as a replacement for a rustic shingled school destroyed in the 1923 Berkeley Fire, this Tudor-style building is distinguished for its craftsmanship, proportions, and use of natural light. Notable features include a paneled auditorium with a grand multipaned window, a fireproof slate roof, and heavy wood doors with Gothic archways. “The Mothers’ Club,” founded in 1902 at Hillside School, was the earliest established PTA in Northern California.
Erected 2000 by Berkeley Historical Plaque Project.
Location. 37° 52.86′ N, 122° 15.563′ W. Marker is in Berkeley, California, in Alameda County. Marker is on Buena Vista Way, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2550 Buena Vista Way, Berkeley CA 94708, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are La Loma Steps (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Annie and Bernard Maybeck House (about 800 feet away); Temple of Wings (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rose Walk (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jensen House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Daley’s Scenic Park Street Improvenents (approx. 0.2 miles away); Allenoke Manor (approx. 0.3 miles away); "Annie's Oak" (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Berkeley.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 405 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.