Indiantown in Williamsburg County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Indiantown Presbyterian Church: “Disarm in the Most Rigid Manner”
On September 20, Maj. Wemyss reported to Cornwallis that he had “burnt and laid waste about 50 houses and Plantations, mostly belonging to People who Ö are now in arms against us.”
According to local lore, Weymss also ordered the burning of Indiantown Presbyterian Church, calling it a “sedition shop.” Founded in 1757 and the heart of community identity for the rebellious Ulster Scots (or “Scots-Irish”) families of the area, it probably was a center of Whig activity in Williamsburg. The church, a simple log structure on the site of the present building, was rebuilt after the Revolutionary War and again in 1830.
Erected 2012 by Francis
Location. 33° 43.508′ N, 79° 33.718′ W. Marker is in Indiantown, South Carolina, in Williamsburg County. Marker is on Hemingway Hwy (State Highway 261/512), on the left when traveling west. Click for map. In the yard of the Indiantown Presbyterian Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4865 Hemingway Hwy., Hemingway SC 29554, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Indiantown Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Benjamin Britton Chandler (1854–1925) (approx. 5.7 miles away); Cooper's Academy / Bethesda Methodist Church (approx. 6.9 miles away); Browntown (approx. 8.1 miles away); Ebenezer United Methodist Church (approx. 9.4 miles away); Witherspoonís Ferry / Johnsonville (approx. 10.1 miles away); Witherspoonís Ferry: Francis Marion Takes Command (approx. 10.2 miles away); Skirmish At Black Mingo Creek (approx. 10.3 miles away).
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Colonial Era • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 713 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.