Leavenworth in Leavenworth County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Saint Paul's, the oldest church in Kansas, was the site of the first consecration of a church, the first confirmation of a child, and the first ordination of a priest.
From 1837 to 1856 a mission served both the fort and the city.
On December 10, 1856, three Episcopal communicants organized a parish with the Reverend Hiram Stone as pastor. The church was named St. Paul's as fostering care was extended by St. Paul's Church of New Haven, Connecticut.
The present church was built in 1864. It was added to in 1872. The total cost of the church and the addition was $13,000.
Erected 1970 by Leavenworth Historical Society.
Location. 39° 19.18′ N, 94° 55.126′ W. Marker is in Leavenworth, Kansas, in Leavenworth County. Marker is on 7th Street near Seneca Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 209 North 7th Street, Leavenworth KS 66048, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Paul Lutheran Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Davis Funeral Chapel (about 700 feet away); Leavenworth (approx. 0.2 miles away); Replica of the Statue of Liberty The Star of the West Saloon (approx. 0.2 miles away); Abraham Lincoln (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Star of the West (approx. 0.2 miles away); Haymarket Square (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Leavenworth.
Also see . . . Saint Paul's Episcopal Church. (Submitted on March 29, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 266 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.