Leavenworth in Leavenworth County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
St. Paul Lutheran Church
On 25 August 1861 the first Lutheran sermon in Leavenworth County was delivered in the Methodist church in Kickapoo. A congregation was organized on 9 March 1862 and a church was built on Delaware Street. In 1880 a second church was built at 7th and Miami which was later replaced by the present structure, dedicated in 1911. Services were in German and English A Lutheran parish school was started in 1863. The present school building was built in 1937.
Erected 1985 by Leavenworth County Historical Society.
Location. 39° 19.219′ N, 94° 55.15′ W. Marker is in Leavenworth, Kansas, in Leavenworth County. Marker is at the intersection of 7th Street and Miami Street, on the left when traveling north on 7th Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Leavenworth KS 66048, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Paul's Episcopal Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Davis Funeral Chapel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Leavenworth (approx. 0.2 miles away); Replica of the Statue of Liberty (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Star of the West Saloon Abraham Lincoln (approx. ¼ mile away); The Star of the West (approx. ¼ mile away); Haymarket Square (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Leavenworth.
Also see . . . St. Paul Lutheran Church. (Submitted on March 29, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 240 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.