Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bartow in Polk County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Old Polk County Courthouse

 
 
Old Polk County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, March 16, 2012
1. Old Polk County Courthouse Marker
Inscription. Polk County was established February 8, 1861 formed from eastern Hillsborough County and western Brevard County and comprised one of two counties created after the state's secession from the union. Polk County was named after James Knox Polk the eleventh president of the United States. Polk served from 1845 to 1849, and was the first president to hold office after Florida achieved statehood. The turbulent 1860's saw Polk's seat of government changed several times. Located first at Mud Lake, the county seat soon moved to Jefferson, a surveyed town site within the present day limits of Bartow. Court and County records were maintained in the home of the county clerk the Reverend Jeremiah Hayman at Six Mile Creek. In 1867 cattleman Jacob Summerlin donated 120 acres of land at Bartow for a town site and seat of county government. Several courthouses have existed at this site, built in 1867, 1884 and 1909.
A Florida Heritage Site
 
Erected 2005 by Polk County Historical Commission and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-549.)
 
Location. 27° 53.824′ N, 81° 50.573′ W. Marker is in Bartow, Florida, in Polk County. Marker is on East Davidson Street east of North Broadway Avenue, on the right when
Old Polk County Courthouse NRHP Plaque #1 image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, June 27, 2012
2. Old Polk County Courthouse NRHP Plaque #1
Mounted at the south portico is this plaque (one of two) noting the courthouse's national recognition as a historic building.

The Old Polk County Courthouse
has been placed on the
National Register
of Historic Places

By the United States
Department of the Interior
August 1989
traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 East Main Street, Bartow FL 33830, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Co E 7th Florida Inf Regt South Florida Bulldogs (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Fort Blount (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mann Manor (approx. 0.2 miles away); Swearingen - Langford House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Historic L. B. Brown House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fort Carroll (approx. 2.6 miles away); Fort Fraser (approx. 3.9 miles away); Homeland School (approx. 5.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Bartow.
 
Regarding Old Polk County Courthouse. The Old Polk County Courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1989.
 
Also see . . .
1. History of the Polk County Courthouse. (Submitted on March 30, 2012, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
2. Polk County History Center. Website for the historical museum and genealogical library (Submitted on June 28, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.) 
 
Additional comments.
1. From Courthouse to Museum
The Old Courthouse was replaced by the current Polk County
Old Polk County Courthouse NRHP Plaque #2 image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, June 27, 2012
3. Old Polk County Courthouse NRHP Plaque #2
A second NRHP plaque is mounted at the building's east steps.

The Old Polk County Courthouse
has been placed on the
National Register
of Historic Places

By the United States
Department of the Interior
August 1989
Courthouse in 1987. For the next decade the empty building underwent extensive renovations to prepare its former courtrooms and other spaces for a new purpose. Today, the building is known by a new name: the Polk County History Center. As the History Center, the building houses both the Polk County History Museum and the Polk County Historical and Genealogical Library.
    — Submitted June 28, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.

 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Old Polk County Courthouse NRHP Plaque #1 image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, June 27, 2012
4. Old Polk County Courthouse NRHP Plaque #1
Seen to the left of the south entrance
Old Polk County Courthouse NRHP Plaque #2 image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, June 27, 2012
5. Old Polk County Courthouse NRHP Plaque #2
Seen at the east entrance, to the left of the steps
Wide view of the Old Polk County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, March 16, 2012
6. Wide view of the Old Polk County Courthouse Marker
Old Polk County Courthouse (1909) image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, March 16, 2012
7. Old Polk County Courthouse (1909)
Old Polk County Courthouse (West Facade) image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, June 27, 2012
8. Old Polk County Courthouse (West Facade)
Now the Polk County History Center
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 567 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.   2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.   6. submitted on , by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.   7. submitted on , by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.   8. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement