Hollister in Santa Clara County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Lafayette F. Bell purchased the toll road, stage stop, tavern, and telegraph office for $4,000 in 1863. When a post office was added in 1873, the tavern and stage stop became known as Bell Station.
Bell Station may be the sole remaining name on the California map in which "Station" refers not to a railroad station, but a stage coach station.
In Memory of XSNGH Carl Briggs, 1925-1985.
Erected 1985 by E Clampus Vitus; Monterey Viejo Chapter No. 1846 & Mountain Charlie Chapter No. 1850.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Butterfield Overland Mail, and the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 37° 2.209′ N, 121° 18.65′ W. Marker is in Hollister, California, in Santa Clara County. Marker can be reached from Pacheco Pass Highway (State Highway 152) east of Kaiser Aetna Road (unsigned), on the left when traveling east. Click for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 1843 - Rancho de San Luis Gonzaga - 1931 (approx. 5.2 miles away); The Old Adobe of Rancho San Luis Gonzaga (approx. 5.2 miles away); Cottage Corners (approx. 12.6 miles away); Hollister Train Service (approx. 13.7 miles away); Site of San Justo Ranch Home (approx. 13.8 miles away); William Clyde "Wino Willie" Forkner, Jr. (approx. 13.8 miles away); State Theatre (approx. 13.9 miles away).
More about this marker. The Bell Station Restaurant has been closed for several years. A 'pepper' tree next to the building has over grown and obscured the marker.
Categories. • Communications • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 697 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.