Niagara-on-the-Lake in Niagara Region, Ontario — Central Canada
Niagara National Historic Sites
This striking commemoration and final resting place of Major General Brock marks the site of the Battle of Queenston Heights. Visitors can climb the 235 stairs to take in spectacular views, or set off on a self-guided tour which covers every major scene of the historic battle
Navy Hall survives as the last building of what was once a large military complex and key supply depot for British forts on the Upper Great Lakes. Constructed in the 1760's the navy Hall complex has been home to Lieutenant-Governor John Graves Simcoe, the Provincial Marine, and a mess for the officers of Fort George. Open by appointment year-round.
Just a ten minute walk from Fort George along the Otter Trail, this site has been more than 170 years of continuous military occupation. Begun as a British Army depot sited out of cannon range from the United States, the site became a Canadian Militia training camp. Many Canadians who fought in the Boer War, World War I, World War II and Korea, trained here. The grounds are open year-round. Visitor facilities will be available at this site in 1999.
Built by the
Erected by Canadian Heritage Parks Canada.
Location. 43° 15.107′ N, 79° 3.814′ W. Marker is in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, in Niagara Region. Marker can be reached from Queens Parade just from Wellington Street. Click for map. This historic marker is located on the grounds of a national historic park. On the map this historic marker appears to be near the end of Bryon Street, but in order to see this historic marker one should probably pull into the parking lot of the national park, which is just off of the roadway called the Queens Parade. Once you park your vehicle the historical marker is just a short walk away along the pathway that leads to the Fort George's visitor center. Marker is in this post office area: Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario L0S 1J0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Welcome to Fort George (here, next to this marker); Fort George The Fortified Mouth of the Niagara River (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); A Strategic Site (about 120 meters away); Fort Niagara (about 120 meters away); Ubique (about 150 meters away); Six Pounder Field Gun (about 150 meters away); Guns Gins and Devil Carts (about 150 meters away). Click for a list of all markers in Niagara-on-the-Lake.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 503 times since then and 68 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.