Bartow in Polk County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site of Fort Blount
Name changed to Bartow 1867
In honor of Confederate General
Francis S. Bartow
Erected 1947 by Bartow Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 27° 53.793′ N, 81° 50.641′ W. Marker is in Bartow, Florida, in Polk County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street and North Carpenter Avenue on West Main Street. Click for map. The marker is located at the southwest corner of Fort Blount Park. Marker is in this post office area: Bartow FL 33830, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Co E 7th Florida Inf Regt South Florida Bulldogs (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Polk County Courthouse (about 400 feet away); Mann Manor (about 500 feet away); Swearingen - Langford House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Historic L. B. Brown House (approx. Fort Carroll (approx. 2.7 miles away); Fort Fraser (approx. 3.9 miles away); Homeland School (approx. 5.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Bartow.
More about this marker. The marker was originally located one block to the west near the intersection of South Floral Avenue and West Main Street. This was the approximate location of Fort Blount, which was a single blockhouse.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 777 times since then and 155 times this year. Last updated on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.