Ellsworth in Ellsworth County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Kansas Paciﬁc Stockyards
Historical Plaza Walking Tour Stop 7
The stockyards were to your left on the location of today's old CK elevator. The photo to the left was actually taken from a location west of here. It shows scattered buildings in the background. Ellsworth was slowly growing to the north.
In 1871, Shanghai Pierce, a prominent South Texas cattleman, found conditions less than favorable in Abilene for marketing cattle. He directed his herd to turn toward Ellsworth. But on seeing the inadequate stockyards here, he was said to have "set up a roar that was heard all over the town and the prairies." By the shipping season of 1872, the stockyards had been expanded to several acres. Seven loading chutes allowed eight men to load from 150 to 200 rail cars per day. R.D. Evans, a former drover, was the yard superintendent. In 1873, to combat the competition from the Santa Fe Railway at Wichita, the Kansas Pacific surveyed a more direct route from Sewell's Ranch on the Chisholm Trail, entering Kansas west of Caldwell, through Kingman, and crossing the Arkansas River at Ellinwood. The list of men who marketed cattle through these yards reads like a "Who's Who of the Texas Cattle Industry". Many of them were the founders of today's American cattle business. R.D. Hunter joined Albert G. Evans in the commission business in Kansas City in 1873. The firm of Hunter and Evans became known as
Erected by Ellsworth County Economic Development, Ellsworth-Kanapolis Area Chamber of Commerce, Ellwsorth County Historical Society, et al. (Marker Number 7.)
Location. 38° 43.831′ N, 98° 14.107′ W. Marker is in Ellsworth, Kansas, in Ellsworth County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and Colorado Avenue, on the left when traveling west on North Main Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ellsworth KS 67439, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. South Main (within shouting distance of this marker); Drovers Cottage (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mueller's Boot Shop (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ellsworth County Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Powers Bank (approx. 0.2 miles away); Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hodgden House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ellsworth, the Cowtown and Fort (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Ellsworth.
Also see . . .
1. Wickedest Cowtown of the West. (Submitted on April 4, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
2. Ellsworth County in Cutler's History of the State of Kansas, 1883 (Submitted on April 4, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Animals • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 432 times since then and 75 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.