Marine on St. Croix in Washington County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
James Taylor Dunn, The St. Croix:
Midwest Border River, 1979
The stone ruins before you include the foundation of the smokestack and portions of the walls of the powerhouse that once contained a steam engine. The artist's rendering shows the mill and powerhouse as they may have looked just before they were finally shutdown in 1895.
Silent witness to technological revolution
When this sawmill opened in 1839, a slow-turning undershot waterwheel powered its single saw blade. By 1852 a 40-foot-tall overshot wheel (see diagram below, left) driven by water from the newly constructed millpond (across Judd Street) had been installed. This wheel powered multiple saw blades that could process more than two million board feet of lumber a year. In 1873 the Walker, Judd and Veazie Lumber Company remodeled the mill, installing a 50-horsepower steam engine that was linked by belts to faster circular and gang saws. Operating as Anderson and O'Brien in 1888, the mill boasted a new 150-horsepower steam engine, electric lights, and a planing mill. When the mill closed for good in 1895, the frame buildings were torn down and the equipment sold to firms
Erected by the Minnesota Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Minnesota Historical Society marker series.
Location. 45° 11.896′ N, 92° 46.086′ W. Marker is in Marine on St. Croix, Minnesota, in Washington County. Marker can be reached from Judd Street south of Maple Street, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marine on Saint Croix MN 55047, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Boom, Then Bust (within shouting distance of this marker); The Pineries are Gone (within shouting distance of this marker); Marine Mill Site (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Powerhouse and Kiln (about 300 feet away); Minnesota's First Commercial Sawmill (about 400 feet away); Marine (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Marine (about 500 feet away); Early Settler's Cabin (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Marine on St. Croix.
More about this marker. [photo and diagram captions]
• Mill powerhouse ruins, about 1900, Minnesota Historical Society
• Overshot wheel, David Geister rendering (2000), Minnesota Historical Society
• What the mill and powerhouse buildings may have looked like in 1895. David Geister rendering (2000), Minnesota Historical Society
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 318 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.