Near Rome in Oneida County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Historic Lower Landing Place
Here, Aug. 2, 1777, Lieut. Henry Bird, commanding St. Leger's advance guard composed of 30 regulars and a party of Indians under Joseph Brant, established the first camp of the British investment of Fort Stanwix. This was attacked and looted, Aug. 6, by Lt. Col. Marinus Willett and 250 continental troops.
Capt. Lernoult and 110 British regulars then erected here a fortified camp with two small cannon and held it for the remainder of the siege.
Here also was the lock, the starting point for the first canal connecting the waters of the Mohawk and Wood Creek, commenced by the Western Inland Lock & Navigation Co., in 1792.
Erected 1928 by New York State Historical Marker.
Location. 43° 11.924′ N, 75° 26.687′ W. Marker is near Rome, New York, in Oneida County. Marker is on Martin Street east of Erie Boulevard East (New York State Route 26), on the left when traveling east. Click for map. The historical marker is located at a roadside park, that is marked with
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Upper Landing Place (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Main British Camp (approx. 0.9 miles away); Revolutionary Battlefields (approx. 0.9 miles away); Their voices heard... (approx. 0.9 miles away); Fort Stanwix (approx. 0.9 miles away); Water for the Garrison (approx. 0.9 miles away); Soldiers’ Quarters: Casemate (approx. one mile away); Missionary’s Quarters (approx. one mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Rome.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • War, US Revolutionary • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 352 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.