“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Elba in Coffee County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)

City of Elba

City of Elba Marker image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines,
1. City of Elba Marker
Inscription. Elba began circa 1840. A ferry had been started across Pea River, thus beginning the town’s first name, Bridgeville. In 1850, the town’s name was changed to Bentonville in honor of a Missourian who had distinguished himself in service to Alabama in the Creek Indian War of 1814. A town meeting was held in December 1851 and all present were allowed to put their idea for a name in a large top hat. One Mr. Simmons had been reading a biography of Napoleon Bonaparte, who was exiled to the island of Elba, so he entered this name and it was drawn. The name was officially recognized early in 1852 when the State Legislature established a voting precinct including Elba. The same year, Elba was selected to be the county seat of Coffee County by a countywide election. In May 1853, with a population of over 20 persons, Elba elected to become incorporated. The City of Elba is governed by a mayor and 5-member council. Elected officials in 2010 included Mayor James E. Grimes and councilmen: Tom Hooks, Tommy Skinner, H.H. Culver, Harold Spicer and Ronnie Hammond.
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Elba.
Location. 31° 24.925′ N, 86° 3.901′ W. Marker is in Elba, Alabama, in Coffee County. Marker is on Buford
City of Elba Marker image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, March 31, 2012
2. City of Elba Marker
Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. The marker is located in front of the Elba City Hall at the intersection of Factory Street and Buford Street. Marker is in this post office area: Elba AL 36323, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Court Square (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Folsom Birthplace (approx. 0.2 miles away); Folsom Estate (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Curtis School (approx. 5.5 miles away); Arwood School Site (approx. 6.2 miles away); Wellborn (approx. 7.5 miles away); Clintonville Academy (approx. 10.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Elba.
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 428 times since then and 85 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement