Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Woodland in Yolo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Woodland begins

 
 
Woodland begins Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 7, 2012
1. Woodland begins Marker
Inscription. On this site in 1853 Henry Wyckoff built the town's first store to serve travelers and farmers. In 1862 the small wooden building, owned by Franklin S. Freeman, became Yolo's interim courthouse after Woodland became the county seat. The original structure was also home to a church, bakery, saloon, dress shop and Din family's Tai Lee Laundry (1925 to 1947). Four Din children were born here.
 
Erected 2005 by Stroll Through History Committee - Woodland Art Center.
 
Location. 38° 40.684′ N, 121° 46.378′ W. Marker is in Woodland, California, in Yolo County. Marker is at the intersection of Dead Cat Alley and First Street, on the right when traveling east on Dead Cat Alley. Click for map. The Marker is mounted on the Dead Cat Alley side of the building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 332 1st Street, Woodland CA 95695, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Woodland's First Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); The Woodland Opera House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Main and Second Street 1920ís (about 300 feet away); Original railroad (about 300
Woodland begins Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 7, 2012
2. Woodland begins Marker
feet away); Yolo County Savings Bank (about 500 feet away); Site of Byron Jacksonís First Machine Shop (about 600 feet away); Yolo County War Memorial (about 600 feet away); Yolo County Courthouse (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Woodland.
 
More about this marker. Joe Scarpa created this marker in 2005 with funds provided by the Stroll Through History Committee as part of the Woodland Art Center Dead Cat Alley Nine Lives Project.
 
Also see . . .  A Brief History of Woodland. In the winter of 1853, Henry Wyckoff settled in a dense grove of oak trees and opened a small store. Soon other businesses located in the area, including a store owned by Major F.S. Freeman. Major Freeman offered free lots to those who would clear the land and build homes. Before long the settlement of Yolo City was established around what is now the central part of Main Street. (Submitted on April 8, 2012.) 
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Marker as Seen From the Alley image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 7, 2012
3. Marker as Seen From the Alley
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 358 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement