Lynchburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Old Court House
Attacked by Federal forces in June 1864, Lynchburg was successfully defended by Gen. Jubal A. Early. After Mayor William D. Branch surrendered the city April 12, 1865, the Old Court House served as the headquarters for the Federal Provost Marshall until the civil government was re-established.
The Old Court House was restored to its antebellum appearance in 1976 and has been adaptively reused as the Lynchburg Museum.
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Location. 37° 24.818′ N, 79° 8.646′ W. Marker is in Lynchburg, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Court Street and Ninth Street, on the left when traveling west on Court Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 901 Court Street, Lynchburg VA 24504, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lynchburg History (a few steps from this marker); Lynchburg Confederate Soldiers Monument Mr. Elderís Rose Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines of the Spanish American War (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Lynchburg (about 300 feet away); Carter Glass (about 400 feet away); Samuel D. Rockenbach (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Lynchburg History (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Lynchburg.
More about this marker. On the left is an image of a "Panoramic View of Lynchburg, 1855. This antebellum portrait of Lynchburg was created by Edward Beyer, an itinerant artist, and provides an authentic image of the city on the eve of the Civil War. The painting depicts the railroads and the canal running along the banks of the James River when Lynchburg was an important tobacco market in Virginia." - Lynchburg Museum Collection
On the right is a photo with the caption, "Confederate Gen. Jubal A Early commanded troops defending Lynchburg in June 1864. After repulsing Gen. David Hunterís
On the lower right is a photo with the caption, "The Lynchburg Court House as it appeared shortly after the war. Its Greek Revival design is typical of many antebellum civic buildings in the South." - Lynchburg Museum Collection
Also see . . .
1. Southside Virginia Civil War - Lynchburg. Virginia Civil War Trails (Submitted on April 13, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
2. Lynchburg Museum System. (Submitted on April 13, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 381 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.