Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lynchburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Quaker Meeting House

 
 
Quaker Meeting House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, April 12, 2012
1. Quaker Meeting House Marker
Inscription. In the mid-18th century, members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) settled in the Lynchburg area, initially worshiping in one another's houses. According to local tradition, the first meetinghouse was constructed here of logs in 1757 and enlarged in 1763. In 1768 it burned and the next year a frame church was built. It stood until 1792, when construction began on a stone meetinghouse completed in 1798. It deteriorated after 1835 as many Quakers, who opposed slavery, emigrated from Lynchburg and Virginia to free states. The meetinghouse was restored in the 20th century as the Quaker Memorial Presbyterian Church. John Lynch, the founder of Lynchburg, and his mother, Sarah Lynch, are buried in the adjacent cemetery.
 
Erected 1994 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number L 20.)
 
Location. 37° 22.415′ N, 79° 11.491′ W. Marker is in Lynchburg, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Fort Avenue (Business Route 460) and Coronado Lane, on the right when traveling east on Fort Avenue. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lynchburg VA 24502, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sandusky (a few steps from this marker); 91st Ohio Volunteer Infantry
Quaker Meeting House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, April 12, 2012
2. Quaker Meeting House Marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); Grave of John Lynch (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Quaker Meeting House (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Sandusky (approx. half a mile away); Lynchburg (approx. half a mile away); Fort Early (approx. 1.5 miles away); Jubal Early Memorial (approx. 1.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Lynchburg.
 
Also see . . .  South River Meeting House. Quaker Memorial Presbyterian Church (Submitted on April 14, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.Settlements & Settlers
 
Quaker Meeting House image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, April 12, 2012
3. Quaker Meeting House
Quaker Meeting House interior image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, April 12, 2012
4. Quaker Meeting House interior
Quaker of South River Meeting 1757 - 1839 image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, April 12, 2012
5. Quaker of South River Meeting 1757 - 1839
This tablet is dedicated to the memory of those devout people who once worshipped in this church, then on the edge of the forest, and who by their example of piety, fortitude and firmness of character make their influence still felt in the city which they founded.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 526 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.   4, 5. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement